ChristianaCare has earned Healthgrades 2021 America’s 50 Best Hospitals Award™ and is among the top 1 percent of more than 4,500 hospitals assessed nationwide for its consistent, year-over-year superior clinical performance.
This stellar achievement follows four consecutive years in which ChristianaCare was named among Healthgrades’ America’s 100 Best Hospitals.
ChristianaCare’s Christiana Hospital and Wilmington Hospital are the only hospitals in Delaware to receive America’s 50 Best Hospitals in 2021.
“At ChristianaCare, we are committed to being exceptional today and even better tomorrow,” said Janice E. Nevin, M.D., MPH, president and CEO of ChristianaCare. “This recognition is a testament to the unwavering focus of our caregivers to provide expert, high-quality, safe care that our community can count on. Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic and every day, we serve our neighbors as caring partners in their health.”
ChristianaCare also received the following distinctions from Healthgrades:
- America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Gastrointestinal Care™ for 10 Years in a Row (2012-2021).
- America’s 100 Best Hospitals for General Surgery™ for 10 Years in a Row (2012-2021).
- America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Joint Replacement™ for 6 Years in a Row (2016-2021).
- America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Spine Surgery™ for 8 Years in a Row (2014-2021).
ChristianaCare’s Christiana Hospital and Wilmington Hospital are the only hospitals in the Philadelphia-Wilmington-Camden area to receive the America’s 100 Best Hospitals in Joint Replacement and America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Spine Surgery in 2021.
Healthgrades is the leading online resource for comprehensive information about physicians and hospitals.
“COVID-19 has profoundly changed the delivery of health care but what is unchanged is the importance of high-quality care. Those hospitals that achieved the America’s 50 Best Hospitals Award have exhibited a long-standing commitment to quality and superior clinical outcomes, which differentiates them from other health care organizations. We applaud their ongoing efforts,” said Brad Bowman, M.D., chief medical officer of Healthgrades.
These Healthgrades recognitions come on the heels of several other recent quality recognitions for ChristianaCare:
- ChristianaCare’s Wilmington Hospital and Christiana Hospital received an ‘A’ in the fall 2020 Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grade, a national distinction recognizing the hospitals’ achievements in protecting patients from harm and providing safer health care.
- The American College of Surgeons National Surgical Quality Improvement Program (ACS NSQIP) recognized ChristianaCare for surgical excellence in caring for its sickest patients and named it one of 89 hospitals that achieved meritorious outcomes for surgical patient care in 2020.
- For five years in a row, ChristianaCare has been rated a Best Hospital by U.S. News & World Report. ChristianaCare achieved the highest ratings in nine of 10 common adult conditions or procedures evaluated by U.S. News & World Report. ChristianaCare was recognized as the best hospital in Delaware and was ranked No. 3 among the 90-plus hospitals in the Philadelphia region.
Recipients of the America’s Best Hospitals Awards are recognized for overall clinical excellence across a broad spectrum of care. During the 2021 study period (2017 through 2019), these hospitals showed superior performance in clinical outcomes for patients in the Medicare population across at least 21 of 32 most common inpatient conditions and procedures — as measured by objective performance data (risk-adjusted mortality and in-hospital complications).
Learn more about how Healthgrades determines award recipients.