ChristianaCare has earned recognition as one of America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Cardiac Care, Joint Replacement, Spine Surgery, Pulmonary Care, Gastrointestinal Care, Gastrointestinal Surgery, and ranks among America’s 50 Best Hospitals for Surgical Care, according to Healthgrades, the leading online resource for information about physicians and hospitals. Every year, Healthgrades evaluates hospital performance at nearly 4,500 hospitals nationwide for 31 of the most common inpatient procedures and conditions.
ChristianaCare’s Christiana and Wilmington hospitals also received the following distinctions:
- Joint Replacement, consecutive recognitions for seven years.
- Spine Surgery, consecutive recognitions for nine years.
- Gastrointestinal Care, consecutive recognitions for 11 years.
- Gastrointestinal Surgery, consecutive recognitions for 11 years.
- America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Cardiac Care™ in 2022.
- America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Pulmonary Care™ in 2022.
- Pulmonary Care Excellence, consecutive recognitions for 17 years.
- America’s 50 Best Hospitals for Surgical Care™ in 2022.
- Five-Star Distinctions in Total Knee Replacement, Total Hip Replacement, Spinal Fusion Surgery, Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeries, Colorectal Surgeries, Treatment of Heart Failure, COPD, Pneumonia, Sepsis, Respiratory Failure, Gastrointestinal Bleed.
Earlier this year, ChristianaCare was also recognized as One of America’s 50 Best Hospitals in 2021.
“ChristianaCare is committed to providing expert, high-quality, safe care to our patients. By focusing on continuous improvement, we have built quality and safety into our organizational infrastructure, promoting accountability and care standards among our caregivers. The result is an exceptional experience for our patients and their families,” said Kert Anzilotti, M.D., MBA, ChristianaCare’s chief medical officer of acute care.
Hospitals achieving the Healthgrades America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Cardiac Care, Joint Replacement, Gastrointestinal Care, Gastrointestinal Surgery and Spine Surgery have demonstrated exceptional quality of care.
From 2018 to 2020, patients treated at hospitals receiving the America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Joint Replacement Award have, on average, a 64.9% lower risk of experiencing a complication while in the hospital than if they were treated in hospitals that did not receive the award.
“Consumers can feel confident in the America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Cardiac Care, Joint Replacement, Gastrointestinal Care, Gastrointestinal Surgery and Spine Surgery for their commitment to quality care and exceptional outcomes.
“The recognition helps provide peace of mind when selecting a place for care,” said Brad Bowman, M.D., chief medical officer and head of data science at Healthgrades.
For its analysis, Healthgrades evaluated approximately 45 million Medicare inpatient records for nearly 4,500 short-term acute care hospitals nationwide to assess hospital performance in 31 common conditions and procedures and evaluated outcomes in appendectomy and bariatric surgery using all-payer data provided by 16 states.
Healthgrades recognizes a hospital’s quality achievements for cohort-specific performance, specialty area performance, and overall clinical quality.
Individual procedure or condition cohorts are designated as five star (statistically significantly better than expected); three star (not statistically different from expected); and one star (statistically significantly worse than expected).