ChristianaCare’s Wilmington Hospital and Christiana Hospital received an ‘A’ in the fall 2020 Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grade, a national distinction recognizing the hospitals’ achievements in protecting patients from harm and providing safer health care.
The Leapfrog Group is an independent national organization committed to health care quality and safety transparency.
The grade is based on the hospitals’ performance in preventing medical errors, injuries, accidents, infections and other harm to patients in their care.
“We serve together to make patient safety our top priority,” said Dr. Kert Anzilotti, M.D., MBA, chief medical officer, acute care.
“Achieving an A grade indicates that our caregivers at Wilmington Hospital and Christiana Hospital are committed to providing exceptional care — every day and with every patient.”
Wilmington Hospital, located in the heart of the city, includes ChristianaCare’s highly regarded specialty centers for Rehabilitation, Advanced Joint Replacement and Comprehensive Behavioral Health.
Christiana Hospital in Newark is Delaware’s largest hospital, with the state’s only Level I trauma center and a designated comprehensive stroke center. It is also home to Christiana Care’s Center for Women’s & Children’s Health, the only high-risk delivering hospital in Delaware, with a Level III neonatal intensive care unit.
Developed under the guidance of a national expert panel, the Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grade uses 27 measures of publicly available hospital safety data to assign grades to more than 2,600 U.S. acute-care hospitals twice a year. The Hospital Safety Grade’s methodology is peer-reviewed and fully transparent. The public can access the results.
The recognition is the latest in a series of quality and safety accolades for ChristianaCare including:
- Being named a Best Hospital by U.S. News & World Report for the fifth consecutive year.
- Being ranked for a second time among the World’s Best Hospitals by Newsweek and as one of the nation’s Best Maternity Hospitals by Newsweek and Leapfrog.
- Recognition as one of the 100 great hospitals in Americaby Becker’s Healthcare.
- Earning the Healthgrades 2020 America’s 100 Best Hospitals Award™ for four years in a row for Christiana Hospital and Wilmington Hospital.
- Achieving Magnet® status, the gold standard in nursing, from the American Nurses Credentialing Center for the third time.
- Achieving “meritorious” outcomes in surgical patient care from the American College of Surgeons Congress for nine consecutive years.
For information on ChristianaCare, visit christianacare.org. For full details on Wilmington Hospital and Christiana Hospital’s ‘A’ ratings, visit hospitalsafetygrade.org.