Renovated with expanded services to better care for the community, the Eugene du Pont Preventive Medicine & Rehabilitation Institute of Christiana Care Health System reopened in December.
Located at 3506 Kennett Pike, the historic and tranquil Preventive Medicine & Rehabilitation Institute campus offers programs that promote health and wellness, and support recovery from illness and injury. New to the Preventive Medicine & Rehabilitation Institute are:
- Christiana Care Cardiology Consultants, relocated from 3301 Lancaster Pike.
- Christiana Care Cardiac Rehabilitation, relocated from 3301 Lancaster Pike.
- Christiana Care Obstetrics and Gynecology at Greenville, relocated from 3706 Kennett Pike.
- Christiana Care Primary Care at Greenville, formerly named Lancaster Pike Center, relocated from 3301 Lancaster Pike.
Returning to the Preventive Medicine & Rehabilitation Institute with spacious facilities and state-of-the-art equipment are:
- Lab Services.
- Pulmonary Rehabilitation.
- Rehabilitation Services, including physical therapy
- Camp FRESH, Christiana Care’s novel, evidence-based program educating local teens about nutrition, exercise, financial planning and healthy lifestyle choices.
“The renovation of the Eugene du Pont Preventive Medicine & Rehabilitation Institute expands our capacity to provide members of our community with health services that promote wellness and help them return to better health after illness or injury,” said Christiana Care President & CEO Janice E. Nevin, M.D., MPH. “This is a new chapter in the site’s long history in the care of our neighbors.”
Opened in 1955, the original 60-bed Eugene du Pont Memorial Convalescent Hospital offered long-term care and treatment for people with physical disabilities for nearly four decades. The facility was renovated in the 1990s to enhance health promotion and reopened in 1997 as the Eugene du Pont Preventive Medicine & Rehabilitation Institute.
Beginning November 2017, the recent renovations focused on the interior of the building, allowing expansion of services at the site.
“The newly renovated Eugene du Pont Preventive Medicine & Rehabilitation Institute brings together primary care and specialty care under one roof, providing access to a range of important health services in a single convenient location for the community we serve,” said Mike Eppehimer MHSA, FACHE, chief operating officer of The Medical Group of Christiana Care.