The May issue of Delaware Today features Christiana Care nurses as “the very best at what they do.” Selected by members of the Delaware Nurses Association, Delaware Today’s Top Nurses include nine Christiana Care nurses plus seven honorable mentions.
“This recognition speaks to the professional excellence of our nurses and the tremendous value they bring to our patients and their families,” said Diane P. Talarek, RN, MA, NE-BC, chief nursing officer and senior vice president, Patient Care Services. “They exemplify the expert, caring partnerships that are vital to The Christiana Care Way.”
In the Delaware Today article, the nurses articulated what makes nursing their chosen profession. Victoria Varga, RN, ADN, recognized for inpatient clinical nursing, said the most rewarding aspect of her work is “seeing the progress patients make during their hospital stay.”
“I take great satisfaction in helping patients learn to manage a chronic illness,” Varga said.
Jessey Jennings, RN, MSN, FNP-BC, honored for her work as an acute-care nurse practitioner, emphasized the importance of “assessment, critical thinking and rendering safe and high quality care to all our patients to improve their outcomes and expedite a safe transition plan.”
Looking to the future of nursing, Bonnie Osgood, RN-BC, MSN, NE-BC, said “nurses who act as navigators and health coaches will support families as they focus on health and preventative care changes.” Osgood was named top nurse in patient and staff management.
Delaware Today’s 2014 Top Nurses
- Martha Coppage-Lawrence, RN, MSN, CPNP – nurse practitioner, pediatrics-neonatal
- Denise French, RN, MSN, APN, GCNS-BC, clinical nurse specialist – geriatrics
- Mary Jones Gant, RRT, RN, MSN, CNS, CCM, APRN-BC – clinical nurse specialist, specialty
- Jessey Jennings, RN, MSN, FNP-BC – nurse practitioner, acute care
- Elizabeth King, RN-BC, BSN – clinical nursing inpatient (tie)
- Moonyeen Klopfenstein, RN, MS, IBCLC, CCE – volunteerism and service
- LaTonya E. Mann, RN, MSN, OCN, CNRI – nurse practitioner, specialty
- Bonnie Osgood, RN-BC, MSN, NE-BC – patient and staff management
- Victoria Varga, RN, ADN – clinical nursing inpatient (tie)
Honorable Mentions recognize:
- Gale Moore Bucher, RN, MSN, COF-C – education and mentorship and home, community and ambulatory care
- Michelle L. Collins, RN-BC, MSN, ACNS-BC – advancing learning and the profession and education and mentorship
- Jennifer F. Cormier, RN, MSN, OCN – nurse practitioner, geriatrics/adult
- Kathryn W. Davidson, RN-BC, MSN – education and mentorship
- Diane DiSabatino, RN, MSN, PNP-BC, CCHP – nurse practitioner, specialty
- Stephanie Evans-Mitchell, RN, MSN, Ed.D. – education and mentorship
- Karen Toulson, RN, MSN, MBA, CEN, NE-BC – patient and staff management