Heart-healthy fish tacos are easy to make and quick to prepare. Mild white fish is spice-coated and baked, not fried, keeping this meal low fat and low mess. Served with time-saving pre-shredded crunchy slaw mix, tangy onions and a creamy, cooling lime sauce, this flavorful meal is sure to be a “Taco Tuesday” favorite. Let diners choose their own toppings to pile on the fun.
Tilapia is used in this recipe but any mild white fish like cod, snapper or halibut will do. Consider serving with a simple corn and black bean salad for a healthy side.
|¼ cup apple cider vinegar|
|½ small red onion, thinly sliced|
|1 pound tilapia|
|½ teaspoon chili|
|½ teaspoon smoked paprika|
|½ teaspoon garlic powder|
|½ teaspoon cumin|
|Optional: a pinch of cayenne pepper|
|½ cup Greek yogurt|
|½ lime, juiced|
|1 ½ cups pre-shredded coleslaw mix or shredded cabbage|
|10 corn tortillas|
|Optional Topping Suggestions|
- Combine vinegar and two tablespoons of water in a small glass bowl or jar. Microwave until hot and add sliced red onions, making sure all are submerged in the liquid. Cover bowl and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to chill. Keep refrigerated until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 400° degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine the spices. Place the tilapia fillets on the baking sheet and sprinkle and rub the spice mix over both sides of the fish. Bake for 10-14 minutes or until cooked through.
- While fish is baking, prepare the lime crema. Combine Greek yogurt and the juice of half a lime, juiced and zested, in a small bowl. For a little heat, consider adding a very finely minced clove of garlic or a dash of hot sauce, sriracha or chipotle in adobo sauce. Top with a pinch of lime zest if desired.
- Serve baked fish flaked into warmed tortillas and topped with quick-pickled onion, lime crema, cabbage slaw and any other optional toppings.
Serving size: 2 tacos
|Calories||213||Total Fat||3 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g||Monounsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1 g||Trans Fat||0 g|
|Cholesterol||33 mg||Sodium||113 mg|
|Potassium||123 mg||Total Carbohydrate||25 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g||Sugars||4 g|