Chicken Divan is exactly the meal we need right now. This comforting casserole relies on ingredients commonly found in your pantry and freezer. Tender chicken and broccoli bubble together in a creamy sauce topped with melted cheese and crunchy bread crumbs and layered onto a bed of precooked brown rice. Meal prep can be made even quicker by using leftover chicken or rice.
You may have your own recipe for Chicken Divan but before you reach for it, stop and think – does it contain mayonnaise, sour cream, canned soup or heavy cream? If so, it’s time to lighten up! Keep all the wonderful creaminess but cut some of the fat and salt by creating your own easy-to-make sauce. Not a fan of curry powder? Try replacing it with Italian seasonings and a little Dijon mustard.
|3 cups brown rice, cooked|
|1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil|
|½ small onion, finely chopped|
|¼ cup all purpose flour|
|2 ½ cups chicken broth, no salt added|
|1 cup freshly shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided|
|½ cup plain Greek yogurt, nonfat|
|1 ½ teaspoons curry powder|
|½ teaspoon lemon juice|
|¼ teaspoon kosher salt|
|3 cups diced or shredded chicken breast, cooked|
|3-4 cups frozen broccoli spear, defrosted and well-drained. About 1 ¼lbs.|
|½ cup panko bread crumbs, preferably whole wheat|
|2 teaspoons olive oil or melted butter|
|⅛ teaspoon garlic powder|
- Preheat oven to 350° and lightly grease a 9×13 baking dish. Add cooked rice to the dish and spread to evenly cover the bottom. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a medium sauce pan over medium-low heat. Add onion and cook until beginning to soften, about 6-8 minutes. Add flour and stir into a crumbly paste. Continue to stir and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. Begin adding chicken broth a little at a time making sure to thoroughly whisk between each addition. Be sure to scrape the edges of the pot as you whisk. Once all the broth has been added, bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and continue to simmer until the sauce begins to thicken, about 3-4 more minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat and stir in ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese. Whisk until thoroughly melted. Add yogurt, curry powder and lemon juice. Whisk until thoroughly incorporated. If necessary, add additional seasoning to taste.
- In a large bowl, combine cooked chicken and defrosted and drained broccoli. Break any extra large florets into smaller pieces. Pour sauce over chicken and broccoli and stir to thoroughly coat.
- Pour chicken and broccoli mixture over brown rice in baking dish making sure to evenly cover the rice. Scrape the bowl clean of any remaining sauce and add to the dish. Sprinkle the mixture with the remaining ½ cup of shredded cheddar.
- In a small bowl, combine panko crumbs with olive oil (or melted butter) and garlic powder. Sprinkle crumbs over the shredded cheddar in the baking dish.
- Bake the casserole for 30-40 minutes or until heated through and bubbly. If necessary, briefly broil the top to lightly brown the panko crumbs. Serve hot.
|Calories||316||Total Fat||11 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g||Monounsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1 g||Trans Fat||0 g|
|Cholesterol||58 mg||Sodium||198 mg|
|Potassium||471 mg||Total Carbohydrate||30 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g||Sugars||3 g|