Christiana Care is building a new parking garage at Wilmington Hospital for patients and visitors. The new garage will expand capacity from 594 parking spaces to 860. During this construction project, the hospital will remain open and fully functioning.
“This is a significant project that is part of our commitment to ensuring our neighbors in the greater Wilmington community have convenient access high-quality care,” said Bob Mulrooney, senior vice president of facilities and services. “We are grateful to our caregivers and neighbors for their ongoing support as we continue to enhance our Wilmington campus and deliver an exceptional health care experience.”
The new garage will replace the current garage, which has reached the end of its useful life. Like the current garage, the new garage will have six floors, but it will be larger, spanning from Jefferson Street to Washington Street.
The project will begin on July 1, when the Patient & Visitor Parking Garage at Wilmington Hospital will close. The entire project is expected to take approximately two years. While construction is under way, traffic patterns on the Wilmington campus will change, including access routes to the Emergency Department (ED), Gateway Building and loading dock. Jefferson Street will be narrowed, and beginning July 21, Chamberlain Street will no longer be accessible. Emergency personnel and patients will access the ED via Washington Street.
Patients and visitors will park in the current Employee Parking Garage, which will be monitored by a patient guide. There will be shuttle service from the garage to the main entrance.
Valet Parking will be moved to the Roxana Cannon Arsht Surgicenter parking lot. Valet parking will be available, free of charge, to those with a handicapped tag. All others will be charged $5.
Employee and physician parking will move to a variety of locations on and around the campus.
For the latest information about this project and parking at Christiana Care, visit christianacare.org/parking.
Photo gallery: Renderings of the new Wilmington Hospital patient and visitor parking garage
Parking garage construction at Wilmington: Frequently asked questions
Where will patients and visitors park during the project?
Patients and visitors will be directed to park in the Employee Parking Garage on floors 2, 3 and 4 via the Jefferson Street entrance, which will be monitored by a Patient Guide. There will be shuttle service from the garage to the main entrance.
Valet Parking will be available, free of charge, to those with a handicapped tag. All others will be charged $5.
Are bicycle racks available at Wilmington Hospital?
Yes, there are bike racks available near the Gateway Building entrance.
Where should employees park?
Employees who work evening, morning or weekend shifts will still access parking through the Employee Parking Garage on floors 1, 5 and 6 via the Jefferson Street entrance.
Employees who work shifts starting prior to 7 a.m. or ending later than 5:30 p.m. will have access to the Employee Parking Garage through an Radio-frequency ID tag for their vehicle. Some of these employees will also be assigned to park in the 601 Delaware Avenue parking lot. Physicians will have access to the Employee Parking Garage via the Chamberlain Street entrance by using their ID badge at the card reader.
Employees who work day shift and are not issued an RFID tag will be assigned a parking space in one of six public lots within walking distance of the hospital:
- 11th & Jefferson Street Lot (114 spaces, .2 miles/5-minute walk to hospital entrance)
- Corporate Plaza Garage (80 spaces, .2 miles/5-minute walk to hospital entrance)
- 10th Street Garage (60 spaces, .3 miles/6-minute walk to hospital entrance)
- Tatnall Parking Garage (150 spaces, .3 miles/5-minute walk to hospital entrance)
- Park BPG Garage (74 spaces, .3 miles/6-minute walk to hospital entrance)
- 12th & Orange Street Garage (60 spaces, .3 miles/7-minute walk to hospital entrance)
- Limited access on Washington Street adjacent to the existing ED parking lot will be available for employee drop-off
- Employees who work at locations other than Wilmington Hospital are encouraged to use Skype for meetings or use the Christiana Care shuttle to travel to Wilmington Hospital campus. There will be a very small number of parking spaces available in the 601 Delaware Avenue lot for these individuals.