Valerie Hughes, BSN, RN, received the DAISY Award for Extraordinary Nurses for January 2019.
Christiana Care DAISY Award recipients are nurses recognized for meeting and exceeding the needs and expectations of patients and families by displaying exceptional clinical skills, compassion, respect and partnership.
Hughes received five DAISY nominations from physicians, a nurse and office staff in the primary care practice at the Health Care Center at Medical Arts Pavilion 2. See what her colleagues had to say:
- “I share an office with Valerie and I hear her speak on the phone with 30 to 40 patients a day. She checks in on them, explains labs and medications and helps set up home care. When requested, she steps into the room for face-to-face consults. Valerie prevents emergency visits and hospitalizations by arranging to have patients see their PCP. She comes to work every day with a smile, a positive attitude and a team spirit that encourages all of us to raise each other up to excellence. Valerie embodies what it means to be a great nurse. I cannot think of any other nurse I have worked with in my 26 years of nursing who is more deserving of the DAISY Award!”
- “Valerie is by far the most dynamic caregiver I have ever worked with. Her ability to connect with patients and families has tremendously impacted our ability to care for our patients. I have a patient who would benefit tremendously from CPAP prior to surgery. Through persistence, Valerie was able to get the sleep study covered and supplies delivered to the patient’s group home to help achieve the best surgical outcome. Because Valerie really connects with patients, she is able to help them adhere to a prescribed diet and medications — again for better outcomes and less utilization. Valerie also connects with many of our patients virtually and teaches them how to use the computer and be connected.”
- “Valerie is always going above and beyond for our patients. She is willing to call my patients to check on them and reports back to me if she has recommendations. She is available at all times during the day and jumps into complicated situations with a smile. When I had a complicated family situation, she brainstormed with me right away to give the family the support they needed. Valerie is a positive person in our office and brings the morale up greatly.”
- “Valerie is on top of working with patients and has a great rapport with providers in our office. She even provides wellness activities for our group.”
- “Valerie is a valuable member of our large team with 22 providers in the office. She is there for our patients who need help and support when they’re discharged from the hospital. She keeps all of our providers up to date on their patients. And she is always there to lend a hand to everyone on staff. Valerie is a valuable resource and we all benefit by having her here on site!”
The family of J. Patrick Barnes created the DAISY (Diseases Attacking the Immune System) Award in 1999 to honor his memory with a tribute to the skillful and compassionate care he received from his nurses during his hospitalization. Today, more than 2,500 health care facilities in every state in the U.S. and in 21 other countries honor nurses with the DAISY Award.
The Professional Nurse Council at Christiana Care selects DAISY Award recipients using an anonymous selection process based on nominations from patients, families and all members of the Christiana Care team. All nurses — inpatient, outpatient and VNA — are eligible.
Click here to nominate a Christiana Care nurse for a DAISY Award.