Christiana Care Health System has achieved the Healthgrades America’s 100 Best Hospitals Award™ for the third consecutive year.
The 2019 distinction places Christiana Care in the top 2 percent of more than 4,500 hospitals assessed nationwide for consistent, year-over-year superior clinical performance as measured by Healthgrades, the leading online resource for comprehensive information about physicians and hospitals.
“At Christiana Care, we’re making a positive impact on the health of our community,” said Janice E. Nevin, M.D., MPH, president and CEO. “In our primary care and specialty practices, in our hospitals and in our partnerships throughout the region, we’re working everywhere to make exceptional health care accessible and affordable, and to provide the outstanding experience that our patients and our community expect. This recognition of the high quality care that we’re delivering in our hospitals is a testament to the compassion, expertise and relentless pursuit of excellence that our extraordinary caregivers demonstrate every day.”
Recipients of the America’s 100 Best Hospitals Award are recognized for overall clinical excellence across a broad spectrum of care. These hospitals showed superior performance in clinical outcomes for patients insured by Medicare during the 2019 study period (2015 through 2017), as measured by objective performance data.
Christiana Care also received 2019 Healthgrades America’s 100 Best Hospital rankings for:
- Gastrointestinal Care, consecutive recognitions since 2012.
- General Surgery, consecutive recognitions since 2012.
- Joint Replacement, consecutive recognitions since 2016.
- Orthopaedic Surgery, consecutive recognitions since 2014.
- Pulmonary Care, consecutive recognitions since 2016.
- Spine Surgery, consecutive recognitions since 2014.
Healthgrades also recognized Christiana Care with Excellence Awards in:
- Cranial Neurosurgery, consecutive recognitions since 2016.
- Critical Care, consecutive recognitions since 2015.
- Neurosciences, consecutive recognitions since 2016
- Stroke Care, consecutive recognitions since 2016.
“The Healthgrades America’s 100 Best Hospitals Award reflects the excellent care and commitment to quality from health care professionals throughout recipient hospitals,” said Brad Bowman, chief medical officer at Healthgrades. “Clinical outcomes can vary significantly from one hospital to another, and with this recognition, consumers can identify the best hospitals for their needs.”
The Healthgrades awards come on the heels of these quality recognitions for Christiana Care:
- U.S. News & World Report named Christiana Care as the best hospital in Delaware and No. 3 among the 90-plus hospitals in the Philadelphia region in 2018.
- Christiana Care was one of only 29 hospitals in the United States to achieve the highest ratings in every common condition or procedure in the 2018 U.S. News & World Report rankings. This is the third consecutive year that Christiana Care has earned that distinction — a record that only 14 hospitals in the country have achieved.
- The American College of Surgeons National Surgical Quality Improvement Program recognized Christiana Care for surgical excellence in caring for its sickest patients and named it one of 66 hospitals in the top 10 percent of outcomes after surgery.