Fresh and flavorful, this delicious grain bowl packs a nutritious punch. Farro, an ancient grain with a mildly nutty taste is an excellent source of fiber, protein and other vitamins and minerals and is low on the glycemic index. Healthy pantry staples like no-salt-added beans and low sodium tuna make this meal simple to throw together.
Farro can be substituted with another healthy grain like quinoa, freekah or brown rice. Replace the lemon vinaigrette with your favorite store-bought light vinaigrette for an easy shortcut.
|1 ½ cups uncooked pearled farro|
|1 large garlic clove|
|1 large lemon|
|3 tablespoons olive oil|
|½ teaspoon Dijon mustard|
|½ cup cherry tomatoes|
|2 hard boiled eggs|
|1 cup Spring mix salad greens|
|1 15oz can no salt added white beans, rinsed and drained|
|1 5oz can low or very low sodium tuna packed in water, drained|
|2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots|
- Cook farro according to package directions adding 1 large garlic clove to the water.
- Zest the lemon and juice it setting aside 2 tablespoons juice.
- Remove garlic clove and toss hot farro with lemon zest and any remaining lemon juice. Farro can be served warm or cold; refrigerate until ready to use.
- While farro is cooking, prepare the dressing. Combine olive oil, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and Dijon mustard in a bowl or container with a lid. Whisk together or shake to emulsify and set dressing aside.
- Prepare the toppings. Slice cherry tomatoes in half and quarter the hard boiled eggs. In a separate bowl, gently toss spring mix and rinsed and drained white beans with a spoon full of dressing until all are coated.
- Split farro among 4 bowls. Evenly distribute cherry tomatoes, hard boiled eggs, greens and white bean mix and tuna over farro.
- Drizzle bowls with dressing including any remaining in the spring mix and white bean bowl. Sprinkle each bowl with shallots and serve.
Nutrition per bowl.
|Calories||436||Total Fat||15 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g||Monounsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||2 g||Trans Fat||0 g|
|Cholesterol||119 mg||Sodium||71 mg|
|Potassium||174 mg||Total Carbohydrate||54 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g||Sugars||1 g|