Spring is asparagus season, and this healthy, easy meal is a great way to enjoy these tasty, green stalks. Sweet and tangy balsamic vinegar is the base for a flavorful, low-sodium marinade used for lean chicken breasts and earthy mushrooms. Baking at a high heat cooks the chicken quickly, keeping it moist and tender. Asparagus is added near the end of cooking to ensure the bright green beauties retain their complex flavor and snappy texture.
|1/4 cup balsamic vinegar|
|1 teaspoon Dijon mustard|
|1 teaspoon olive oil|
|1 teaspoon dried basil|
|3 cloves of garlic, minced|
|1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts – 4 small or 2 large|
|1 lb crimini or baby bella mushrooms (white button mushrooms may be substituted)|
|1 lb asparagus, medium thickness|
|Optional: ground pepper|
- Create the marinade by combining the vinegar, mustard, olive oil, basil and garlic in a small bowl. Mix well.
- Clean chicken breasts of any fat and place in a large zip-top bag or bowl. Pour marinade over the chicken, making sure to coat it. Seal bag or cover bowl and set aside while other ingredients are prepared.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray or lightly coat with olive oil.
- Clean mushrooms by brushing off any visible dirt. Cut large mushrooms in half so pieces are uniform in size. Prepare asparagus by cutting off woody stems.
- Add cleaned mushrooms to the bag of marinating chicken. Shake well until all mushrooms are coated in marinade. Discard any excess marinade and place chicken and mushrooms on prepared baking sheet, leaving room between the ingredients. If desired, season with freshly ground black pepper. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove baking sheet from oven, give the mushrooms a stir, and scatter asparagus around the other ingredients. Continue to bake for an additional 10 minutes or until asparagus is just fork tender and chicken is cooked through and reads 165° on an instant read thermometer.
- Allow chicken to rest for 5 minutes before slicing. Divide chicken and vegetables between four plates.
|Calories||195||Total Fat||4 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g||Monounsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0 g||Trans Fat||0|
|Cholesterol||65 mg||Sodium||112 mg|
|Potassium||739 mg||Total Carbohydrate||12 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g||Sugars||5 g|