Super creamy, tons of protein, high in fiber, and low in fat and sodium — this dip scores points across the board. Delicious hot, room temperature, or even cold, it’s the perfect low-maintenance game-day snack. Serve with tortilla chips (look for low-sodium varieties) and fresh vegetables.
This recipe creates a mild-flavored dip that is tasty as-is or the perfect base for experimentation. Customize it for your family by adding any of the following:
- Fresh jalapeños (mixed in or scattered on top as garnish.)
- A few dashes of hot sauce.
- Chili powder and extra spices.
- Fresh garlic instead of garlic powder.
- Extra green onion.
- Chopped fresh cilantro and freshly diced tomatoes (add after baking).
|2 15oz cans kidney beans, no salt added|
|1 cup low fat, no salt added cottage cheese|
|1/4 teaspoon onion powder|
|½ teaspoon cumin powder|
|1 teaspoon garlic powder|
|½ cup shredded reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese or Mexican blend|
|Optional: Sliced green onion for garnish|
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- In the bowl of a food processor, blend the first 5 ingredients until smooth.
- Spoon pureed mixture into an oven proof baking dish and sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until heated through and cheese is lightly browned at the edges.
Serves 12. Yield: 3 cups. Serving size: ¼ cup.
|Calories||90||Total Fat||1 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g||Monounsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0 g||Trans Fat||0 g|
|Cholesterol||5 mg||Sodium||48 mg|
|Potassium||292 mg||Total Carbohydrate||12 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g||Sugars||1 g|