This quick to make soup is velvety, luxurious, and deceivingly light. Cauliflower is simmered and pureed resulting in an incredibly creamy soup that does not rely on added fat or cream for its smooth texture. Crispy prosciutto and sage topping adds a punch of flavor and texture to this mellow and elegant soup.
Creamy cauliflower soup is a delicious base for a variety of toppings. Try it with different fresh herbs, sauteed mushrooms, or other favorite ingredients. Prosciutto is easily omitted for a vegetarian option.
|1 large head of cauliflower or 2 small|
|2 teaspoons olive oil, divided|
|1 medium onion, diced|
|3 cloves of garlic, minced|
|6 cups low sodium chicken stock or vegetable broth|
|2 tablespoons sage, sliced into thin ribbons|
|3 slices prosciutto, sliced into thin ribbons|
|¼ cup grated parmesan cheese|
|Salt and pepper to taste|
- Cut head of cauliflower in half. Remove all leaves and core. Break florets apart and cut any larger pieces in half so they will be uniform in size. Set pieces aside.
- Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until softened but not browned, about 6-7 minutes.
- Add cauliflower florets to the pot, cover with chicken stock (or vegetable broth) and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until cauliflower is very tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- While the soup cooks, prepare topping ingredients. Stack sage and thinly slice into ribbons. Stack the prosciutto slices and roll. Slice across the grain and loosely break apart to create thin ribbons.
- Remove soup from heat and stir in the juice of ½ a lemon and grated parmesan cheese.
- Allow soup to cool slightly and puree in small batches in a blender. Alternatively, puree soup in the pot using an immersion blender. Return soup to pot (if using a traditional blender), season to taste with salt and pepper, and keep hot while preparing the topping.
- In a small saute pan, heat remaining 1 teaspoon of olive oil over medium high heat. Add proscuitto and sage strips and cook, stirring frequently until both are lightly browned and crisp, 2-3 minutes. Serve soup hot in individual bowls with prosciutto and sage divided and sprinkled over top.
|Calories||106||Total Fat||4 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g||Monounsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0 g||Trans Fat||0 g|
|Cholesterol||9 mg||Sodium||224 mg|
|Potassium||479 mg||Total Carbohydrate||12 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g||Sugars||4 g|