Piping hot, easy to make chili is comfort in a bowl and a quick cure for the winter blues.
Packed with protein and fiber, heart-healthy beans create a hearty, satisfying chili. Canned beans and tomatoes often contain unnecessary salt. Choose reduced sodium options to significantly reduce your sodium intake. Similarly, when buying chili powder, check the sodium level. You may find that some brands are higher than others.
This is a hearty, filling vegetarian chili — you’re not likely to miss the meat, but if you want to add it, you can sauté 1 pound of lean ground turkey (until cooked through) with the vegetables. Drain turkey and vegetables of any grease and increase broth as needed.
|1 teaspoon olive oil|
|1 large onion, finely diced*|
|2 medium carrots, finely diced*|
|1 green bell pepper, finely diced*|
|3 cloves fresh garlic, minced*|
|2 tablespoons low sodium tomato paste|
|3 tablespoons chili powder|
|2 teaspoons cumin powder|
|1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder|
|1 28oz can low sodium crushed tomatoes|
|1 ½ cups low sodium vegetable (or chicken) broth|
|1 tablespoon molasses|
|1 15oz can reduced sodium black beans, rinsed and drained|
|1 15oz can reduced sodium kidney beans, rinsed and drained|
|1 15oz can reduced sodium pinto beans, rinsed and drained|
|1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar|
|Salt and pepper to taste|
*Time-saving tip for the cook: Pulse onion, carrot and bell pepper chunks in a food processor until finely chopped. Remove ingredients and use the processor to mince the garlic cloves as well.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, and bell pepper. Sauté until vegetables begin to soften, about 6 minutes. Add garlic and sauté a minute more.
- Add tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, and cocoa powder. Saute for one minute stirring to combine.
- Add crushed tomatoes, vegetable broth and molasses. Mix well, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Reduce heat to keep from boiling.
- Stir drained beans and vinegar into the tomato mixture. Cover and simmer for another 10-15 minutes until beans are heated through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve hot with plenty of toppings.
|Plain non-fat Greek yogurt (or fat-free or reduced-fat sour cream)|
|Sliced fresh jalepenos|
|Reduced fat shredded cheddar|
|Sliced fresh avocado|
|Finely chopped red onion|
|Fresh diced tomatoes|
Serves 6-8. Serving size, 1 cup
|Calories||186||Total Fat||1 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g||Monounsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0 g||Trans Fat||0 g|
|Cholesterol||0 mg||Sodium||335 mg|
|Potassium||660 mg||Total Carbohydrate||39 g|
|Dietary Fiber||11 g||Sugars||9 g|