Eating healthy doesn’t mean eating bland. It also doesn’t mean you need to spend your entire day preparing dinner. This recipe for roasted broccoli with sausage and white beans is a perfect example of a one pan meal that checks all the right boxes: nutritious, delicious, easy and inexpensive.
Broccoli is low in calories and high in fiber and vitamin C. Roasting it brings out a depth of flavor, making it the sophisticated older sibling of the old standby, steamed broccoli.
Lean turkey sausage packs plenty of flavor and protein without the extra fat content of pork sausage.
Cannellini beans add fiber and protein. When choosing beans, always look for labels that say reduced sodium and rinse well to help keep salt down.
|2½ lbs fresh broccoli florets|
|2 teaspoons olive oil|
|1 tablespoon lemon juice|
|1 teaspoon Dijon mustard|
|3 cloves of garlic, minced|
|1 15.5 oz can cannellini (white) beans, reduced sodium|
|1lb sweet Italian lean turkey sausage|
|2 teaspoons Parmesan cheese, grated|
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Spread broccoli florets over a sheet pan large enough to hold them in one layer. If any florets are much larger than the rest, split them into smaller pieces.
- In a small bowl stir together olive oil, lemon juice, Dijon mustard and garlic. Drizzle sauce over broccoli and stir to combine.
- Drain and thoroughly rinse cannellini beans, pat dry. Toss beans with broccoli and spread the mixture over the entire sheet tray.
- Remove casings from turkey sausage and cut sausage into 3/4 inch chunks. Nestle pieces of sausage among the broccoli and beans.
- Place in preheated oven and roast for 20–25 minutes or until broccoli is tender and sausage is no longer pink. Remove from oven and heat the broiler.
- Broil broccoli and sausage mixture until sausage is crisped and broccoli is slightly browned in spots.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve.
|Calories||227.8||Total Fat||8.3 g|
|Saturated Fat||2.1 g||Monounsaturated Fat||2.1 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.4 g||Trans Fat||0 g|
|Cholesterol||0.5 mg||Sodium||417.8 mg|
|Potassium||775.6 mg||Total Carbohydrate||21.9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||9.2 g||Sugars||0.1 g|