If your memory of brussels sprouts involves the words “boiled,” “mushy” or “bitter” — it’s time to hit the reset button. Brussels sprouts have seen a recent resurgence in popularity, and for great reason. These adorable, tiny members of the cabbage family are delicious when they’re cooked right. They’re also packed with nutrients. Brussels sprouts are high in vitamin C and vitamin K, and they are almost as high in antioxidants as kale and spinach.
This healthy recipe shares a secret well known to brussels sprouts lovers: roasting changes everything. Roasting brussels sprouts brings out a sweetness and nuttiness that is beyond compare. Here, lean prosciutto and a little olive oil add flavor without a lot of fat. The prosciutto can easily be omitted for a vegetarian option.
If you’re not already a brussels sprouts lover, prepare to be wooed!
|1 ½ lbs brussels sprouts, as uniform in size as possible|
|2 teaspoons olive oil|
|1 oz thinly sliced prosciutto|
|salt and pepper to taste|
Optional: parchment paper or tin foil for covering your sheet pan.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Trim brown ends of brussels sprouts and remove any yellow or loose leaves. If any sprouts are significantly larger than the rest, cut them in half so they will cook evenly with the rest.
- On a large sheet pan toss brussels sprouts with olive oil.
- Slice prosciutto into small ribbons and sprinkle over brussels sprouts.
- Season sprouts to taste with salt and pepper. Go light with the salt, because the prosciutto will impart some saltiness.
- Roast brussels sprouts for 20 minutes. Shake pan or stir to help the sprouts brown evenly. Return pan to oven and cook for another 15 minutes (35 minutes total cooking time) or until brussels sprouts are tender and evenly browned.
- Serve hot with crispy bits of prosciutto sprinkled over top.
|Calories||70||Total Fat||2 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g||Monounsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0 g||Trans Fat||0 g|
|Cholesterol||3 mg||Sodium||114 mg|
|Potassium||0 mg||Total Carbohydrate||11 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g||Sugars||3 g|