The Christiana Care Medical-Dental Staff annual meeting, physicians’ art exhibit, dinner and presentation of the 14th Annual Commendation for Excellence drew 350 members, spouses, friends and colleagues to Deerfield Golf Club Nov. 1.
Attendees browsed the paintings, sculpture, photography and other art by 15 physician artists exhibited in the anteroom before filing into the ballroom for official business that included annual awards and announcements of new officers.
Immediate past-president Eric Johnson, M.D., new president Brian Burgess, M.D., and Robert J. Laskowski, M.D., president and CEO of Christiana Care Health System, welcomed the Medical-Dental Staff members and guests before starting an evening agenda that included the presentation of nine Rising Star Awards, the Commendation for Excellence Award, awards for teaching excellence and other recognition. The event also featured a lecture by Joe Lex, M.D., FACEP, MAAEM, professor of clinical emergency medicine at Temple University School of Medicine, titled “Medical Aspects in the Care of Gunshot Wounds Suffered by President John F. Kennedy on Nov. 22, 1963.”
The 2013 Commendation for Excellence — awarded for “clinical care and compassion, education and leadership” — was presented to Ehsanur Rahman, M.D.
Dr. Rahman started blazing a trail of excellence in the Department of Medicine and the Division of Cardiology 33 years ago as a leading clinician, teacher and researcher. His impact on the training of many Christiana Care medical residents and cardiology fellows has earned four Department of Medicine Teacher of the Year Awards — more than anyone else in the department’s history. He has received three consecutive Christiana Care Cardiology Fellowship Teacher of the Year awards, and that award is now named after him.
His friend and colleague for many years has been the Medical-Dental Staff’s departing past president, Anand Panwalker, M.D., who nominated Dr. Rahman for the award. Dr. Panwalker wrote: “Possessing exceptional powers of persuasion, Dr. Rahman teaches that clinical excellence does not have to be expensive or overwhelmed by technology. He steadfastly opposes waste and lapses in critical thinking in the medical profession, and he has taught that health care is best when it is always value-based, incorporating cost control, quality and safety for many years before these virtues became popular. His great integrity and high principles focus above all else on ensuring that his patients are safe and receiving the best quality care.”
Dr. Rahman is invited consistently to present at the annual Department of Medicine Clinical Pearls program, where the best teachers, selected by Christiana Care staff, are given the honor of delivering words of wisdom to residents and staff as the academic year winds down.
Dr. Rahman received his degree in medicine (M.B.) from Dhaka Medical College, Dhaka, Bangladesh. He trained in internal medicine at St. Joseph Mercy Hospital in Pontiac, Mich. He was a fellow in cardiology at St. Joseph and at Mount Sinai Medical Center in Miami Beach, Fla. He has served as president of the Delaware Affiliate of the American Heart Association and governor of the Delaware Chapter of the American College of Cardiology.
He is a member of Cardiology Physicians, P.A., and a clinical assistant professor of Medicine at Thomas Jefferson University. He is board certified in internal medicine, cardiovascular diseases, interventional cardiology and critical care medicine.
His spirituality and humanity instills in him a strong faith and a generous heart, friends say. He is involved in international projects to help medically needy populations, including a general practice clinic in Bangladesh. He is also a great storyteller known for his sense of humor.
2013 Medical-Dental Staff Rising Star Awards
- Alissa Wilmot, M.D.— Anesthesia
- Christian Coletti, M.D. — Emergency Medicine
- Ina Li, M.D. — Family and Community Medicine
- Sudhakar Satti, M.D. — Heart and Vascular Health
- Jomy Matthew, M.D. — Internal Medicine
- Deborah Ehrenthal, M.D., MPH — Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Howard W. Zucker, D.D.S. — Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Jon F. Strasser, M.D. — Radiation Oncology
- Christopher DeMauro, M.D. — Radiology
2013 Teaching Awards
- Jennifer LeComte, D.O. — Department of Medicine Mark W. Maxwell Teaching Award
- Erin Meyer, D.O. — Department of Medicine Attending Teacher of the Year Award (student voted)
- Mithil Gajera, M.D. — Internal Medicine Residency Program Teacher of the Year Award (student voted)
- Charles L. Hobbs, M.D. — Department of Surgery Chief Resident’s Special Recognition Award
- David Isaacs, D.M.D., Sohaib Usmani, D.M.D. —Department of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery & Hospital Dentistry gratefully acknowledge your dedication and excellence in the teaching and practice of Implant Dentistry
- William Hohman, M.D. — OB-GYN Apple Teacher of the Year
- Mark Cadungog, M.D.— Council on Resident Education for OB/GYN Excellence in Teaching Award
- Kirsten Smith, M.D. — APGO Excellent in Resident Teaching Award, Dept. of OB-GYN
- William Hohman, M.D. — NAMS – National Teaching Award, Dept. of OB-GYN
- Daniel B. Maloney, D.O. — Radiology Teacher of the Year Award 2012-2013