Corn flake crumbs provide an extra crispy coating for this dish. You can make them yourself or buy them pre-crushed. Serve the chicken with sauteed greens and a baked sweet potato for a Southern style treat.
Crispy oven “fried” chicken Recipe
- YIELD: 4 Servings
- SERVING SIZE: 4 oz. chicken, 5 oz. greens
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup milk lowfat
- 1 egg
- 1½ cups corn flake crumbs
- 2 tbsp Mrs. Dash Onion & Herb
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp paprika
- 4 chicken breasts bone in, skinless
- Southern Style Greens:
- 2 tbsp olive oil light
- ½ cup onions and peppers chopped, frozen or fresh
- 3 slices turkey bacon diced
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 20 oz bag greens washed, torn
- ½ chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray a sheet pan with cooking spray.
- Place flour in a medium bowl and set aside. In another bowl, mix milk and egg with a whisk and set aside.
- Place corn flake crumbs, Mrs. Dash, pepper and paprika in a large zipper seal plastic bag and seal the zipper. Shake bag to mix all ingredients.
- Place a chicken breast in the flour and toss to coat well then place in egg mixture and coat well. Remove from egg mixture and allow excess to drip into bowl, then place in bag with crumb mixture, close the bag and toss to coat. Place on sheet pan. Repeat with remaining breasts.
- Bake for 15 minutes, lower the heat to 375°F and bake for another 20 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and crispy. The juices should run clear when the meat is pierced with a knife.
- Southern Style Greens — Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium high temperature. Add onions and peppers, turkey bacon and garlic. Sauté, stirring often, until lightly browned. Add the greens and broth. Cover and steam for 5 minutes. Remove lid, stir well and cook until liquid has evaporated and greens are cooked.
- CALORIES: 123
- PROTEIN: 38g
- FIBER: 8g
- FAT: 14g
- SATURATED FAT: 3g
- MONOUNSATURATED FAT: 7g
- POLYUNSATURATED FAT: 3g
- SODIUM: 564mg
- CALCIUM: 282mg
- POTASSIUM: 1453mg