Stand out at your next picnic or potluck with this fresh and flavorful make-ahead noodle salad. A rainbow of vegetables and a tangy vinaigrette make this the perfect antidote to gloopy (and unhealthy!) run-of-the-mill mayonnaise-based pasta salads. Serve as a main course or as a side along with your favorite grilled protein.
To make vegan, substitute brown sugar or maple syrup for the honey. To make gluten-free, substitute tamari or coconut aminos for the soy sauce and replace whole grain spaghetti with your favorite gluten-free pasta.
Tips for the Cook:
- Pre-shredded carrots are a great time-saver and can be found in the fresh vegetable section of most grocery stores.
- English cucumbers do not need to be peeled before eating. To keep your salad from becoming watery, cut the cucumber in half lengthwise and use a spoon to gently scoop out the center of each half.
- Experiment with different vegetables. Shredded cabbage, sliced radish, sugar snap or snow peas are all delicious additions.
- Do not throw out the green onion bottoms! Place the rooted ends in a small glass of water, put them in a sunny location and watch them grow. The greens can be re-harvested as needed.
- Chill salad completely before serving. It tastes even better the next day once flavors have had a chance to meld.
|⅓ cup olive oil|
|½ cup rice vinegar|
|4 teaspoons soy sauce, reduced sodium|
|1 tablespoon honey|
|1 teaspoon sesame oil|
|2 cloves garlic, finely minced|
|2 teaspoons fresh ginger, finely minced|
|1 16-ounce package whole-grain spaghetti|
|1 red bell pepper|
|1 yellow bell pepper|
|1 English cucumber|
|1 mounded cup shredded carrots, see tips for the cook above|
|1 cup shelled, unsalted edamame, cooked|
|1 bunch green onions, green tops only, sliced|
|½ cup cilantro, washed and chopped|
- Make the dressing. Add all dressing ingredients to a jar or bowl with a tight-fitting lid. Shake well to emulsify and set aside. Alternatively, add all ingredients to a bowl and whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse cooked spaghetti with cold water. Add fully rinsed and drained noodles to a large bowl.
- While pasta is cooking, slice bell peppers and cucumber into bite-sized pieces. Add sliced peppers, cucumber, shredded carrots and edamame to the cooked noodles. Pour the prepared dressing over top and stir to combine. Add green onion and cilantro and stir again. Refrigerate until cold. Serve noodle salad cold or at room temperature.
|Calories||221||Total Fat||8 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g||Monounsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1 g||Trans Fat||0 g|
|Cholesterol||0 mg||Sodium||85 mg|
|Potassium||344 mg||Total Carbohydrate||34 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g||Sugars||5 g|