Q: What are lipids and how do they affect health?
A: Lipids are cholesterol particles that are naturally made in the body and have normal physiological functions. Abnormal levels of lipids can be associated with an increased risk of cardiovascular diseases.
Q: What is the Advanced Lipid Clinic?
A: ChristianaCare’s Advanced Lipid Clinic is a specialized center that focuses on helping people reduce their risk of cardiovascular diseases such as heart attack and stroke. My team includes Nurse Practitioner Myrna Malak, MSN, FNP-C, AGACNP-BC, CCRN, and the support of dietitians and genetic counselors.
Q: Who should go to the Advanced Lipid Clinic?
A: People who may benefit from the Advanced Lipid Clinic include:
- People who have extremely high cholesterol due to genetic disorders.
- People who have been on traditional cholesterol-lowering medications and cannot tolerate them because of side effects or whose numbers are not at goal.
- People who have not had a heart attack but are at high risk because of high cholesterol or family history.
- People who have had a heart attack and want to prevent another one.
Q: How does the clinic help patients?
A: The Advanced Lipid Clinic takes an integrated approach that not only offers advanced testing and the newest medications, but also provides counselling and support for a healthy diet and lifestyle.
We assist in the management of high blood pressure and diabetes in partnership with your other health care providers. We can also connect you with cardiovascular geneticists as appropriate.
Q: What makes the clinic distinctive?
A: ChristianaCare has the only specialized clinic of its type in Delaware. The two major distinctions are:
- The focus we place on education and counselling for the patient.
- Our multi-disciplinary approach that includes dietitians and geneticists.
It is important to note that the Advanced Lipid Clinic does not replace the care of your primary care provider or cardiologist. We can consult with them to provide you with the best care.
To make an appointment at the Advanced Lipid Clinic, ask your doctor for a referral or call 302-777-0643.