Savor the flavors of Spring with this quick to make frittata. Packed with asparagus, leeks and mushrooms and topped with fresh lemony arugula, this dish is as delicious as it is versatile. Appropriate for brunch, lunch or dinner, this frittata can be served hot, room temperature or even cold. It is also an excellent way to use up leftover vegetables and herbs. Experiment with new combinations to create a meal your family will love.
Looking to keep the cholesterol down? Consider replacing a few of the whole eggs with the equivalent amount of egg whites or a substitute like Egg Beaters. ¼ cup of liquid egg product equals one whole egg.
Tip for the chef: dirt can become trapped inside leeks so be sure to rinse well!
Time saver: look for pre-sliced mushrooms at your grocery store. They are often conveniently sold in 8oz portions.
|6 eggs or equivalent egg substitute|
|½ cup 2% milk|
|2 teaspoons olive oil|
|8 oz crimini mushrooms, cleaned and sliced|
|¼ teaspoon kosher salt, divided|
|Freshly ground black pepper|
|2 small leeks, white and light green part only, well rinsed and sliced into thin half moons. About 1 cup.|
|½ bunch of thin asparagus, cut into bite-sized pieces, about ½ lb|
|2-3 cloves of garlic|
|2 oz goat cheese|
|1 cup arugula|
|½ teaspoon fresh lemon juice|
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Crack eggs into a medium sized bowl. Add milk and whisk until completely combined. Set aside until ready to use.
- Heat olive oil in a 10 inch oven safe non-stick pan or a very well seasoned cast iron pan. Add sliced mushrooms and allow them to cook, without stirring, for 5 minutes. Stir, sprinkle with ⅛ teaspoon of kosher salt and a few grinds of black pepper and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes or until well browned, stirring as needed. Remove mushrooms from the pan and set aside until ready to use.
- Add leeks and asparagus to hot pan and cook for 4 minutes. Add minced garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes or until leeks are soft and asparagus is just beginning to become tender. Season with ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt and a few grinds of black pepper.
- Add mushrooms to the asparagus mixture and stir to combine. Pour egg mixture over vegetables and give the eggs a quick stir to evenly distribute the ingredients.
- Cook frittata for two minutes, without stirring and place in the oven. Cook for 15 minutes or until the eggs are just set. Let frittata rest for 5 minutes before removing from the pan.
- When ready to serve, toss arugula with lemon juice. Crumble goat cheese over the frittata and top with lemony arugula, leaving any remaining lemon juice behind. Serve hot, room temperature or even cold with a side of simple roasted potatoes.
Serving size: 1 wedge
|Calories||148||Total Fat||9 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g||Monounsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1 g||Trans Fat||0 g|
|Potassium||360 mg||Total Carbohydrate||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g||Sugars||3 g|