What makes a one pot meal even better? When most of the cooking time is hands off! Set it, forget it and take a little time for yourself. And, you don’t have extra dishes to do.
Seasoned chicken thighs are quickly seared until golden brown and then braised in the oven with basmati rice and coconut milk that is fragrant with garlic, ginger and lime zest. The result is creamy coconut rice and tender, flavorful chicken. Take it to the next level by serving it with chopped fresh cilantro and lime wedges.
Use light coconut milk to keep the fat down and brown basmati rice for extra fiber that will keep you full longer.
|1 tablespoon olive oil|
|1 tablespoon curry powder|
|6 boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of all fat|
|1 medium onion, chopped|
|4 garlic cloves, finely minced|
|2 inch knob of ginger, peeled and finely minced|
|1 ½ cups brown basmati rice, uncooked|
|1-15 oz can diced tomatoes, no salt added|
|1-13.5 oz can light coconut milk|
|1 lime, zested|
|2 cups water|
|1 cup peas, frozen|
|Optional: fresh cilantro and lime wedges for serving|
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium high heat.
- Sprinkle chicken thighs with curry powder, turning to coat.
- Sauté chicken until golden brown on both sides, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove chicken thighs and set aside on a plate until needed.
- Reduce heat to medium and add chopped onion. Sauté until just starting to soften, about 4 to 6 minutes. Add minced garlic and ginger and sauté for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add brown basmati rice to the Dutch oven and stir to combine. Add canned diced tomatoes with their juices, canned coconut milk, and the lime zest. Pour 2 cups of water into the pot and stir well.
- Gently add chicken thighs to the mixture in a single layer, nestling them into the rice and liquid. Increase the heat and bring pot to a boil. Cover the pot and place in the preheated oven. Bake for 1 hour.
- Carefully take the pot out of the oven and remove the lid. Scatter frozen peas over the top, replace the lid and put the pot back into the oven for an additional 10 minutes. Serve chicken and rice hot with lime wedges and cilantro.
|Calories||399||Total Fat||13 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g||Monounsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0 g||Trans Fat||0 g|
|Cholesterol||105 mg||Sodium||135 mg|
|Potassium||310 mg||Total Carbohydrate||44 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g||Sugars||5 g|