Brooke Jacob, MS, RD, CDE, Nutrition Services program manager, prepares these black bean sliders for game day — and they are winners any day of the year. Serve with fruit, veggies or our guacamole dip.
|1-15oz can black beans, undrained|
|1-4oz can chopped green chilies, undrained|
|1 cup plain dry bread crumbs|
|1 teaspoon chili powder|
|1 large egg, beaten|
|¼ cup yellow cornmeal|
|2 tablespoons canola oil|
|2 tablespoons sour cream or yogurt, if desired|
- Place beans in their juice in food processor or blender. Cover and process until slightly mashed. Remove from food processor.
2. In a bowl, mix beans, chiles in their juice, bread crumbs, chili powder and egg.
3. Shape mixture into 12 patties, each about ½ in thick.
4. Coat each patty lightly with cornmeal.
5. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Cook patties in oil 5 to 10 minutes, turning once, until crisp and cooked through.
6. Move patties to serving plate. Dollop sour cream or yogurt as desired.
Serving Size: 1 patty
|Calories||106||Total Fat||3.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||.5 g||Monounsaturated Fat||1.5 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||.75 g||Trans Fat||0 g|
|Cholesterol||15 mg||Sodium||159 mg|
|Potassium||94 mg||Total Carbohydrate||14 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g||Sugars||1 g|