When it’s a beautiful day to take a picnic to the park, the beach or a family reunion, these food safety tips can keep the good times rolling.
- Keep cold foods cold. Use a cooler packed with ice and store your cooler in the shade. A full cooler stays colder longer than one that’s partially empty.
- Keep hot foods hot. Use a vacuum-insulated thermal container.
- Keep it clean. Bring antibacterial hand gel or towelettes for clean hands and food prep.
- Put it away. Unrefrigerated food should not sit longer than two hours, or one hour if it is over 90 degrees outside.
- Honor the golden rule of food safety: When in doubt, throw it out.