This easy-to-make casserole is the perfect weeknight meal: It’s healthy, inexpensive and best of all, it’s kid-friendly. Pop it in the oven while you deal with the real weeknight battle — homework.
Ground turkey keeps this casserole lower in fat, and whole wheat flour increases the fiber. If you’re easing your family into eating more whole wheat, try white whole wheat flour. It has the nutritional benefits of whole wheat with a milder flavor. Any leftovers reheat well the next day.
|2 teaspoons olive oil|
|1 medium onion, chopped|
|1.5 lbs lean ground turkey|
|2 teaspoons garlic powder|
|1 teaspoon dry mustard|
|2 tablespoons tomato paste, no salt added|
|1¼ cups cheddar cheese, low fat|
|2 large eggs or equivalent egg substitute|
|1¼ cups milk, low fat|
|½ cup plain Greek yogurt, non-fat|
|¾ cups white whole wheat flour or traditional whole wheat flour|
|1½ teaspoons baking powder|
|¼ teaspoon baking soda|
- Preheat oven to 400° and lightly coat a 13x9x2 baking pan with cooking spray.
- Heat two teaspoons of olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for 3 or 4 minutes or until onion just begins to soften. Add ground turkey, breaking it into small pieces with your spatula, and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until cooked through. Drain and discard any fat from the pan.
- Add garlic, dry mustard and tomato paste to sauté pan. Stir to thoroughly combine ingredients and continue to cook for an additional minute. Add the turkey mixture to the prepared baking pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine eggs, milk and Greek yogurt, whisking to thoroughly combine. In a small bowl stir together the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add the bowl of dry ingredients to the bowl of wet and whisk together until no lumps remain.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese over the ground turkey mixture. Evenly pour the flour mixture over the cheese making sure to cover the entire dish.
- Bake the casserole for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Serve hot with steamed vegetables or a side salad. Optional: Serve with extra Greek yogurt for dipping.
|Calories||251||Total Fat||8 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g||Monounsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0 g||Trans Fat||0 g|
|Cholesterol||104 mg||Sodium||221 mg|
|Potassium||178 mg||Total Carbohydrate||12 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g||Sugars||3 g|