Fresh, flavorful finger foods are often some of the most reliable family favorites. If taco night is a crowd-pleasing kitchen ritual at your house, here’s another recipe that is every bit as satisfying and fun to eat — and packed with healthy, fresh ingredients.
|1 head bibb or butter lettuce, washed and leaves removed|
|2 tablespoons hoisin sauce|
|2 teaspoons reduced sodium soy sauce|
|1 teaspoon rice vinegar|
|1 teaspoon olive oil|
|1 lb lean ground chicken (lean ground turkey or pork are good substitutes)|
|4 cloves of garlic, minced|
|1 tablespoon ginger, finely minced|
|2 tablespoons green onion, chopped|
Optional suggested toppings
|Unsalted dry roasted peanuts, chopped|
|Shredded carrots – for convenience, look for pre-shredded carrots in your grocery store’s produce section|
|Toasted sesame seeds|
|Thinly sliced peppers|
|Sliced chili peppers|
- Wash lettuce, separate leaves and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine hoisin sauce, soy sauce and rice vinegar. Mix well and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add ground chicken and cook for 5 minutes breaking chicken apart with a cooking utensil. Remove from heat (chicken will not be fully cooked) and drain any accumulated fat. Return pan to heat and add minced garlic and ginger. Continue cooking and breaking meat apart until chicken is fully cooked, approximately 2-4 more minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and turn heat down to low. Add sauce mixture to pan, stirring well. Return to low heat, cover, and simmer for 2 minutes. Do not allow it to burn. Remove from heat, stir in sliced green onions.
- serve hot with lettuce leaves and toppings. Save any remaining lettuce leaves for a salad with tomorrow night’s dinner.
Nutrition for wraps with lean ground chicken.
|Calories||205||Total Fat||11 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g||Monounsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||2 g||Trans Fat||0|
|Cholesterol||98 mg||Sodium||297 mg|
|Potassium||722 mg||Total Carbohydrate||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g||Sugars||3 g|