Watch out this Halloween: It’s not just the kids’ teeth and bellies that are negatively affected by the trick-or-treating tradition. Adults often consume more than half of all the candy distributed on Halloween night.
Chocolate is a common Halloween favorite, and one of the most potentially damaging to a healthy diet. One mini candy bar (about 2 inches long) is recommended to satisfy your sweet tooth, but the spirit of the holiday may compel you to dig right into a huge bowl of sugary bounty. Set out with a plan to moderate your family’s candy intake well before the sea of brightly colored wrappers is staring you right in the face.
Tips to keep candy consumption under control
- Enjoy your treats on Halloween eve, giving away as much of the leftovers as possible.
- Freeze as much of the candy as possible.
- Decide in advance on your daily consumption (or number of calories, if you are really ambitious) and be consistent.
- Drink two glasses of water before indulging to limit your hunger and cravings.
- Keep in mind that New Years is less than nine weeks away and there are plenty of other holiday temptations in the next two months.
- Stick to mini or fun size versions instead of the regular or king size.
Try these smaller, less caloric options
|3 Musketeers® Mini Bar||24 calories||0.7g fat|
|3 Musketeers® Fun Size Bar||70 calories||2g fat|
|Milky Way® Mini||38 calories||1.5g fat|
|Milky Way® Fun Size||80 calories||3g fat|
|Kit Kat® Mini||42 calories||2.2g fat|
|Kit Kat® Snack Size||70 calories||3.7g fat|
|Nestle Crunch® Mini||50 calories||2g fat|
|Nestle Crunch® Fun Size||70 calories||3g fat|
|York® Pumpkin Peppermint Pattie||50 calories||1g fat|
|Nerds® Mini Box||50 calories||0g fat|
|Swedish Fish® Treat Size||55 calories||0g fat|
|Sour Patch Kids® Treat Size||55 calories||0g fat|
|Milk Duds® Snack Size||53 calories||2g fat|
|Skittles® Fun Size||60 calories||0.7g fat|
|Junior Mints® Snack Size||80 calories||1.5g fat|
|Butterfinger® Snackerz Fun Size||75 calories||3.5g fat|
Have a happy and healthier Halloween!