ChristianaCare ranked 70th best hospital in the United States and No. 2 in the greater Philadelphia area
(WILMINGTON, Del. – March 3)
For the third year in a row, ChristianaCare was ranked among the World’s Best Hospitals by Newsweek.
ChristianaCare, headquartered in Wilmington, Del., was ranked the 70th best hospital in the United States and No. 2 in the greater Philadelphia area. Newsweek recognized ChristianaCare among the hospitals worldwide that “stand out for their consistent excellence, including distinguished physicians, top-notch nursing care and state-of-the-art technology.”
ChristianaCare was also highlighted for its superior infection prevention measures.
ChristianaCare was the only Delaware health system recognized by Newsweek. More than 2,000 hospitals were evaluated for the ranking.
“At ChristianaCare, we are guided by our values, love and excellence, and we are committed to being exceptional today and even better tomorrow,” said ChristianaCare President & CEO Janice E. Nevin, M.D., MPH. “Our continued achievements in quality and safety are the result of unwavering focus by our caregivers on delivering the best outcomes and experience for every patient.”
The World’s Best Hospitals 2021 ranking lists the best hospitals in 25 countries: United States, Germany, Japan, South Korea, France, Italy, United Kingdom, Spain, Brazil, Canada, India, Australia, Mexico, The Netherlands, Poland, Austria, Thailand, Switzerland, Sweden, Belgium, Finland, Norway, Denmark, Israel and Singapore.
The countries were mainly selected based on standard of living/life expectancy, population size, number of hospitals and data availability, according to Newsweek.
The lists are based on the following data sources:
- Recommendations from medical experts, which include doctors, hospitals managers and health care professionals. More than 74,000 medical experts were included in the survey.
- A survey on patient reported outcome measures.
- Publicly available data from existing patient surveys.
- For U.S. hospitals, an infection prevention measurement that credited hospitals that performed above the national average for health care associated infections.
- Medical key performance indicators on hospitals, including data on quality of care for specific treatments, data on hygiene measures and patient safety, and data on the number of patients per doctor and per nurse.
- A global board of medical experts validated the rankings.
Newsweek partnered with Statista Inc., a global market research and consumer data company, to develop the ranking of the world’s best hospitals.
In partnership with Leapfrog, a national nonprofit organization that reports on the safety and quality performance of U.S. health care facilities, Newsweek also ranked ChristianaCare as one of the nation’s Best Maternity Hospitals in August 2020.
This recognition by Newsweek comes on the heels of these other quality recognitions that ChristianaCare has received during the past 12 months:
- ChristianaCare earned Healthgrades 2021 America’s 50 Best Hospitals Award™ and is among the top 1 percent of more than 4,500 hospitals assessed nationwide for its consistent, year-over-year superior clinical performance. This achievement follows four consecutive years in which ChristianaCare was named among Healthgrades’ America’s 100 Best Hospitals.
- ChristianaCare’s Wilmington Hospital and Christiana Hospital in December received an ‘A’ in the fall 2020 Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grade, a national distinction recognizing the hospitals’ achievements in protecting patients from harm and providing safer health care.
- ChristianaCare was honored as one of only 89 institutions out of 722 by the American College of Surgeons Clinical Congress for achieving “meritorious” outcomes in surgical patient care. This marked the ninth consecutive year that ChristianaCare was recognized through the organization’s National Surgical Quality Improvement Program – also known as ACS NSQIP – which is the only nationally validated quality improvement program that measures and enhances the care of surgical patients.
- ChristianaCare was rated as a “Best Hospital” by U.S. News & World Report for the fifth year in a row. ChristianaCare achieved the highest ratings in nine of 10 common adult conditions or procedures evaluated and was recognized as the best hospital in Delaware.
Headquartered in Wilmington, Delaware, ChristianaCare is one of the country’s most dynamic health care organizations, centered on improving health outcomes, making high-quality care more accessible and lowering health care costs. ChristianaCare includes an extensive network of primary care and outpatient services, home health care, urgent care centers, three hospitals (1,299 beds), a freestanding emergency department, a Level I trauma center and a Level III neonatal intensive care unit, a comprehensive stroke center and regional centers of excellence in heart and vascular care, cancer care and women’s health. It also includes the pioneering Gene Editing Institute.
ChristianaCare is nationally recognized as a great place to work, rated by Forbes as the 5th best health system to work for in the United States and by IDG Computerworld as one of the nation’s Best Places to Work in IT. ChristianaCare is rated by HealthGrades as one of America’s 50 Best Hospitals and continually ranked among the nation’s best by U.S. News & World Report, Newsweek and other national quality ratings. ChristianaCare is a nonprofit teaching health system with more than 260 residents and fellows. With its groundbreaking Center for Virtual Health and a focus on population health and value-based care, ChristianaCare is shaping the future of health care.