ChristianaCare also Rated High Performing in Nine Adult Common Conditions and Procedures
(WILMINGTON, Del. – July 28, 2020)
For the fifth year in a row, ChristianaCare has been rated a Best Hospital by U.S. News & World Report.
ChristianaCare also achieved the highest ratings in nine of 10 common adult conditions or procedures evaluated by U.S. News & World Report. ChristianaCare was recognized as the best hospital in Delaware and was ranked No. 3 among the 90-plus hospitals in the Philadelphia region.
ChristianaCare was ranked No. 24 in the nation in gynecology and was rated as high performing in care related to urology, orthopaedics, gastroenterology and GI surgery, and neurology and neurosurgery.
“At ChristianaCare, our mission is simple: We take care of people,” said Janice E. Nevin, M.D., MPH, ChristianaCare president and CEO. “Our community looks to us to deliver high-quality, safe care, and this recognition by U.S. News & World Report affirms that we are delivering that care consistently, making a positive impact on health for everyone we serve.”
Common adult conditions and procedures for which ChristianaCare achieved the highest ratings by U.S. News & World Report include:
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm repair.
- Aortic valve surgery.
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
- Colon cancer surgery.
- Heart bypass surgery.
- Heart failure.
- Hip replacement.
- Knee replacement.
- Lung cancer surgery.
The recognition by U.S. News & World Report comes on the heels of several other quality recognitions during the past 12 months for ChristianaCare:
- ChristianaCare earned the Healthgrades 2020 America’s 100 Best Hospitals Award™. The distinction places ChristianaCare in the top 2% of nearly 4,500 hospitals assessed nationwide for its consistent, year-over-year superior clinical performance as measured by Healthgrades. ChristianaCare has received the America’s 100 Best Hospitals Award for four years in a row (2017-2020) for Christiana Hospital and Wilmington Hospital.
- ChristianaCare was ranked one of the nation’s Best Maternity Hospitals by Newsweek and Leapfrog, a national nonprofit organization that reports on the safety and quality performance of U.S. health care facilities.
- ChristianaCare was honored as one of only 88 institutions out of 722 by the American College of Surgeons (ACS) Clinical Congress’ National Surgical Quality Improvement Program for achieving “meritorious” outcomes in surgical patient care, and one of only 56 health systems recognized for “meritorious” patient care in the program’s “all-case” and “high-risk” categories.
Headquartered in Wilmington, Delaware, ChristianaCare is one of the country’s most dynamic health care organizations, centered on improving health outcomes, making high-quality care more accessible and lowering health care costs. ChristianaCare includes an extensive network of primary care and outpatient services, home health care, urgent care centers, three hospitals (1,299 beds), a freestanding emergency department, a Level I trauma center and a Level III neonatal intensive care unit, a comprehensive stroke center and regional centers of excellence in heart and vascular care, cancer care and women’s health. It also includes the pioneering Gene Editing Institute.
ChristianaCare is nationally recognized as a great place to work, rated by Forbes as the 5th best health system to work for in the United States and by IDG Computerworld as one of the nation’s Best Places to Work in IT. ChristianaCare is rated by HealthGrades as one of America’s 50 Best Hospitals and continually ranked among the nation’s best by U.S. News & World Report, Newsweek and other national quality ratings. ChristianaCare is a nonprofit teaching health system with more than 260 residents and fellows. With its groundbreaking Center for Virtual Health and a focus on population health and value-based care, ChristianaCare is shaping the future of health care.