Christiana Care among the top 2 percent of U.S. hospitals for clinical outcomes for 3rd consecutive year
Wilmington, DE (February 12, 2019)
Christiana Care Health System has achieved the Healthgrades 2019 America’s 100 Best Hospitals Award™. The distinction places Christiana Care in the top 2 percent of more than 4,500 hospitals assessed nationwide for its consistent, year-over-year superior clinical performance as measured by Healthgrades, the leading online resource for comprehensive information about physicians and hospitals. Christiana Care has received the America’s 100 Best Hospitals Award for three years in a row (2017-2019).
“At Christiana Care, we’re making a positive impact on the health of our community,” said Janice E. Nevin, M.D., MPH, president and CEO. “In our primary care and specialty practices, in our hospitals and in our partnerships throughout the region, we’re working everywhere to make exceptional health care accessible and affordable, and to provide the outstanding experience that our patients and our community expect. This recognition of the high-quality care that we’re delivering in our hospitals is a testament to the compassion, expertise and relentless pursuit of excellence that our extraordinary caregivers demonstrate every day.”
From 2015 through 2017, patients treated in hospitals achieving the America’s 100 Best Hospitals Award had, on average, a 25.2 percent lower risk of dying than if they were treated in hospitals that did not receive the award, as measured across 19 rated conditions and procedures for which mortality is the outcome.*
And during that same period, if all hospitals performed similarly to those achieving the Healthgrades America’s 100 Best Hospitals Award, 172,950 lives could potentially have been saved. For example, patients treated for Community Acquired Pneumonia in hospitals achieving the award have, on average, a 35.3 percent lower risk of dying than if they were treated in hospitals that did not receive the award.*
“The Healthgrades America’s 100 Best Hospitals Award reflects the excellent care and commitment to quality from healthcare professionals throughout recipient hospitals,” said Brad Bowman, chief medical officer at Healthgrades. “Clinical outcomes can vary significantly from one hospital to another, and with this recognition, consumers can identify the best hospitals for their needs.”
Christiana Care also received the following distinctions for 2019:
- One of Healthgrades America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Orthopaedic Surgery™ for 6 Years in a Row (2014-2019).
- One of Healthgrades America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Joint Replacement™ for 4 Years in a Row (2016-2019).
- One of Healthgrades America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Spine Surgery™ for 6 Years in a Row (2014-2019).
- One of Healthgrades America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Pulmonary Care™ for 4 Years in a Row (2016-2019).
- One of Healthgrades America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Gastrointestinal Care™ for 8 Years in a Row (2012-2019).
- One of Healthgrades America’s 100 Best Hospitals for General Surgery™ for 8 Years in a Row (2012-2019).
- Neurosciences Excellence Award™ for 4 years in a row (2016-2019).
- Cranial Neurosurgery Excellence Award™ for 4 years in a row (2016-2019).
- Stroke Care Excellence Award™ for 4 years in a row (2016-2019).
- Critical Care Excellence Award™ for 5 years in a row (2015-2019).
These Healthgrades recognitions come on the heels of several other recent quality recognitions for Christiana Care:
- The American College of Surgeons National Surgical Quality Improvement Program (ACS NSQIP) recognized Christiana Care for surgical excellence in caring for its sickest patients and named it one of 66 hospitals in the top 10 percent of outcomes after surgery.
- Out of more than 4,500 hospitals in the United States, Christiana Care was one of only 29 in 2018 to achieve the highest ratings in every common condition or procedure in U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals rankings. This is the third consecutive year that Christiana Care has earned that distinction — a record that only 14 hospitals in the country have achieved.
Recipients of the America’s 100 Best Hospitals Award are recognized for overall clinical excellence across a broad spectrum of care. During the 2019 study period (2015 through 2017), these hospitals showed superior performance in clinical outcomes for patients in the Medicare population across at least 21 of 32 most common inpatient conditions and procedures — as measured by objective performance data (risk-adjusted mortality and in-hospital complications).
To learn more about how Healthgrades determines award recipients, and for more information on Healthgrades Quality Solutions, please visit www.healthgrades.com/quality.
*Statistics are based on Healthgrades analysis of MedPAR data for years 2015 through 2017 and represent 3-year estimates for Medicare patients only.
Need an expert source?
Our Experts, ChristianaCare's expert database, can help you find the right source for your next news story.
Request an interview ➜
Headquartered in Wilmington, Delaware, ChristianaCare is one of the country’s most dynamic health care organizations, centered on improving health outcomes, making high-quality care more accessible and lowering health care costs. ChristianaCare includes an extensive network of primary care and outpatient services, home health care, urgent care centers, three hospitals (1,430 beds), a freestanding emergency department, a Level I trauma center and a Level III neonatal intensive care unit, a comprehensive stroke center and regional centers of excellence in heart and vascular care, cancer care and women’s health. It also includes the pioneering Gene Editing Institute.
ChristianaCare is nationally recognized as a great place to work, rated by Forbes as the 2nd best health system for diversity and inclusion, and the 29th best health system to work for in the United States, and by IDG Computerworld as one of the nation’s Best Places to Work in IT. ChristianaCare is rated by Healthgrades as one of America’s 50 Best Hospitals and continually ranked among the nation’s best by U.S. News & World Report, Newsweek and other national quality ratings. ChristianaCare is a nonprofit teaching health system with more than 260 residents and fellows. With its groundbreaking Center for Virtual Health and a focus on population health and value-based care, ChristianaCare is shaping the future of health care.