Everything tastes better on a stick and these delicious pork kebabs are no exception! Lean, tender cubes of pork get plenty of flavor from a tangy cilantro-lime marinade. Meat and accompanying vegetables are threaded onto skewers, brushed with more marinade and quickly cooked over the grill. Pair with sweet and smoky grilled corn on the cob for an easy summer meal.
Poblano peppers are generally only mildly spicy, especially after they are cooked. If you are concerned about the heat, substitute with bell pepper.
Cilantro-Lime Marinade Ingredients
|½ cup cilantro, packed|
|3 cloves garlic|
|¼ cup chopped white onion|
|Juice of 1 lime|
|¼ teaspoon cumin powder|
|2 tablespoons olive oil|
|½ teaspoon kosher salt, optional|
Pork Kebabs Ingredients
|1 pork tenderloin, 1 – 1 ¼lbs|
|1 recipe Cilantro-Lime Marinade|
|2 poblano peppers|
|1 small red onion|
|2 small yellow squash|
Four metal skewers. Alternatively, four large wooden skewers, soaked in water for at least 30 minutes before assembling and grilling.
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a food processor and pulse until mostly smooth. Alternatively, very finely chop cilantro, garlic and onion and add to a small bowl. Stir in lime juice, cumin powder, olive oil, and salt if using. Whisk to combine and set aside until ready to use.
- Clean tenderloin of all visible fat and remove silver skin. Slice tenderloin in half lengthwise. Turn halves on their cut side and cut the two pieces in half crosswise. Cut each section crosswise into quarters for a total of 16 pieces of pork.
- Add pork to a nonreactive bowl or container with a lid. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the marinade and add the rest to the pork. Stir to evenly coat the pork with the marinade. Cover and refrigerate both the marinating pork and reserved marinade. Marinate for at least 1 hour or up to 12 hours.
- Cut poblano peppers and red onion into 1-inch squares. Cut yellow squash into 1-inch rounds. Preheat grill to medium-high for 10 to 15 minutes and assemble the skewers.
- Carefully thread skewers with poblano, yellow squash, pork and red onion, dividing the meat and vegetables evenly and alternating as you go.
- Grill skewers with the lid down for 2 to 3 minutes per side, approximately 8 to 12 minutes, or until pork is cooked through and vegetables are tender. Serve as soon as skewers are cooled enough to safely handle.
Seasoned Grilled Corn
Choose corn that is thick and has a bright green husk. The tassel (the silky part sticking out of the top of the corn) should be brown or gold and a little sticky. A dry husk or tassel means dry corn. When shucking the corn, leave the end on to use as a handle.
|2 teaspoons olive oil|
|½ teaspoon paprika, smoked or sweet|
|½ teaspoon garlic powder|
|4 ears of corn, shucked|
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Combine olive oil and spices in a small bowl.
- Brush corn with olive oil and spice mixture. Grill corn with lid down for approximately 10 to 12 minutes, turning every couple of minutes or until the corn is hot and slightly charred in spots. Serve immediately.
Cilantro-Lime Pork and Poblano Kebabs
|Calories||215||Total Fat||9 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g||Monounsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1 g||Trans Fat||0 g|
|Cholesterol||75 mg||Sodium||65 mg|
|Potassium||268 mg||Total Carbohydrate||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g||Sugars||3 g|
|Calories||92||Total Fat||3 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g||Monounsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0 g||Trans Fat||0 g|
|Cholesterol||0 mg||Sodium||3 mg|
|Potassium||11 mg||Total Carbohydrate||17 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g||Sugars||6 g|