Say “howdy” to this fresh take on pork chops with Tex Mex flavors! This colorful one-pan meal can be thrown together in no time thanks to ingredients commonly found in your pantry and freezer. Fire-roasted tomatoes, corn and black beans create a flavorful bed for juicy tender pork.
Boneless, skinless loin pork chops are a great lean alternative to higher fat cuts like pork shoulder or Boston roast. Select no salt added or low sodium canned ingredients to create a heart healthy meal the whole family will enjoy.
|1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil|
|4 boneless skinless loin pork chops, 1 lb – 1 ½ lbs|
|1 medium onion, diced|
|½ teaspoon garlic powder|
|½ teaspoon ground cumin|
|½ teaspoon chili powder|
|1 – 14.5 oz can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, no salt added or reduced sodium|
|1 -15 oz can no salt added black beans, rinsed and drained|
|1 cup frozen corn kernels|
|Optional: freshly chopped cilantro, nonfat Greek yogurt or nonfat sour cream|
- Trim pork chops of all visible fat.
- Heat oil in large sauté pan or dutch oven (with a lid) over medium high heat. If desired, lightly season pork chops with salt and pepper. Add pork chops to pan and brown on both sides, turning heat down if necessary to brown without burning, approximately 2 minutes per side. Remove pork chops to a plate and set aside.
- Lower heat to medium, add onion to pan and sauté until softened 4-5 minutes. Add spices and sauté for an additional 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes, beans, and corn. Mix well, bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Nestle pork chops into tomato mixture, cover pan, and cook until pork chops are cooked through, about 5-7 minutes.
- Serve immediately. If desired, garnish with chopped cilantro and nonfat Greek yogurt or nonfat sour cream.
|Calories||334||Total Fat||10 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g||Monounsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0 g||Trans Fat||0 g|
|Cholesterol||75 mg||Sodium||95 mg|
|Potassium||265 mg||Total Carbohydrate||28 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g||Sugars||5 g|