Summer brings family, friends, fun and fireworks. One of the big childhood memories many of us share is holding those bright sparklers in our hands and waving them around in Grandmom’s back yard. They were so much fun — but we’ve learned it’s best to leave patriotic lights to the pros.
The risks are real. Safe Kids Worldwide reports that more than 3,000 children under the age of 15 go to the emergency room each year due to fireworks-related injuries.
Sparklers are one of the biggest causes of those injuries and account for one-third of fireworks-related injuries to children under age 5. This may come as a surprise to some of us because sparklers seemed so harmless. But did you know that sparklers burn at temperatures of about 1,200 degrees? That is hot enough to melt glass.
Use glow sticks instead.
Laws on personal use of fireworks and sparklers vary. Know the rules about personal fireworks in your state. Best yet, leave the fireworks to the pros, and attend a public fireworks display instead.
Despite laws against them, fireworks remain ubiquitous, especially around July 4, so remember:
- Supervise children at all times around fireworks.
- If you’re setting off the fireworks, wear loose-fitting clothing in case of stray sparks, and stand a safe distance away from lit fireworks.
- Fireworks should never be lit indoors or near dry grass.
- If someone is injured by fireworks, they immediately should go to a doctor or hospital. If an eye injury occurs, don’t touch or rub it, as this may cause even more damage.
Start new summer holiday traditions with your kids — spread out your picnic blanket, break out colored glow sticks for the kids, lay back and enjoy the show together.