In its annual analysis of the nation’s hospitals, Healthgrades recognized Christiana Care Health System as one of America’s 100 Best Hospitals in 2018.
The distinction places Christiana Care in the top 2 percent of nearly 5,000 hospitals assessed nationwide for its consistent, year-over-year superior clinical performance as measured by Healthgrades, the leading online resource for comprehensive information about physicians and hospitals. Christiana Care has received the America’s 100 Best Hospitals Award for the second year in a row.
“At Christiana Care, our mission is simple: We take care of people,” said Christiana Care President and CEO Janice E. Nevin, M.D., MPH. “We commit to being exceptional today and even better tomorrow, and our continued success in national rankings for quality and safety — including these most recent awards from Healthgrades — demonstrates that we’re delivering true value to our community. I am grateful for the opportunity to serve alongside such an outstanding team of expert physicians, nurses and health professionals. Delawareans and all those we serve in the region have every reason to be proud of the outstanding health care available in the First State.”
The 100 recipients of the America’s 100 Best Hospitals Award stand out among the rest for overall clinical excellence across a broad spectrum of care. During the most recent study period from 2014 through 2016, these hospitals showed superior performance in clinical outcomes for patients in the Medicare population across at least 21 of 32 most common inpatient conditions and procedures, as measured by objective performance data such as risk-adjusted mortality and in-hospital complications.
Christiana Care received the following distinctions in 2018:
- America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Orthopedic Surgery, five years in a row (2014-2018).
- America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Joint Replacement, three years in a row (2016-2018).
- America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Spine Surgery, five years in a row (2014-2018).
- America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Stroke Care, three years in a row (2016-2018).
- America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Pulmonary Care, three years in a row (2016-2018).
- America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Gastrointestinal Care, seven years in a row (2012-2018).
- America’s 100 Best Hospitals for General Surgery, seven years in a row (2012-2018).
”We commend the recipients of Healthgrades America’s 100 Best Hospitals Award for their commitment to delivering exceptional clinical outcomes,” said Brad Bowman, M.D., Healthgrades chief medical officer. “The choice of a hospital is an important decision — one that can be a matter of life and death — so consumers should do their research and use trusted information like this to assess and select their facility of choice.”
Healthgrades also named Christiana Care as a 2018 Distinguished Hospital of Clinical Excellence. This places Christiana Care among the top 5 percent of hospitals in the nation that deliver high-quality care across at least 21 of 32 common inpatient conditions and procedures, according to the Healthgrades analysis.
In all, Christiana Care earned 42 distinctions and America’s 100 Best Specialty Awards from Healthgrades for its quality performance, more than any other hospital system in the Northeast Region, which includes 13 states from Maine to Virginia, as well as the District of Columbia.
“We are delivering excellent, high-quality care to the people we serve,” said Sharon L. Anderson, MS, BSN, RN, FACHE, senior vice president of Quality and Patient Safety and chief population health officer at Christiana Care. “This recognition belongs to all of our exceptional physicians, nurses and staff who are dedicated to advancing a culture in which we place our patients and their families at the center of all that we do.”
Christiana Care’s list of national recognition continues to grow
In the past 12 months:
- The U.S. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services rated Christiana Care a five-star health system. Christiana Care is the only five-star health system in Delaware.
- U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rated Christiana Care as the Best Hospital in Delaware, one of the top three hospitals in the greater Philadelphia region, and among the Top 50 Hospitals in the United States for nephrology, diabetes and endocrinology, and gastroenterology and gastrointestinal surgery.
- U.S. News & World Report recognized Christiana Care as among just 1 percent of U.S. hospitals that earned top ratings across the board for nine surgical procedures and chronic conditions: abdominal aortic aneurysm repair, aortic valve surgery, colon cancer surgery, lung cancer surgery, hip replacement, knee replacement, heart bypass surgery, heart failure procedure and COPD care.
- CareChex’s 2018 Hospital Quality Ranking rated Christiana Care the No. 1 health system in the United States for medical excellence in neurological and stroke care, and the No. 1 health system in the nation in patient safety for pneumonia and trauma care. Christiana Care received top performance ratings in orthopaedics, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), gallbladder removal, gastrointestinal hemorrhage, heart attack treatment and spinal fusion.
- Becker’s Hospital Review recognized Christiana Care as among the 100 Great Hospitals in America, 100 Hospitals and Health Systems with Great Orthopaedic Programs, and the Best Hospitals for Joint Replacements in all 50 states.
- Christiana Care’s patient-centered care coordination service Carelink CareNow was honored with the country’s preeminent recognition for quality and safety — the John M. Eisenberg Patient Safety and Quality Award. Eisenberg recognizes innovation and effectiveness in helping patients manage their health while achieving higher-quality care at lower costs.
- Carelink CareNow was recognized with a Stand Up for Patient Safety Management Award for its “impressive results” in reducing readmissions from the National Patient Safety Foundation.