Linda Brittingham, director of Social Work at Christiana Care, has been named the 2011 Social Worker of the Year by the Delaware Chapter of the National Association of Social Workers. Brittingham was selected for her work at Christiana Care and her many contributions to the state of Delaware.
“Linda is known for her outstanding dedication to client advocacy,” says her nomination. “She always finds time to address issues of social justice and continuously supports the social work profession by providing opportunities to employees for education, professional development and outreach to the community.”
Among her accomplishments last year:
- Led the Department of Social Work in sponsoring a Substance Abuse Vendor Fair showcasing the major drug and alcohol treatment agencies in the area.
- Assisted the state of Delaware and the Aging and Disability Resource Center to help lead the change in how the community receives resource information.
- Participated in statewide efforts to increase nursing home quality, review psychiatric service needs, develop stronger working relationships and increase communication of patient-care needs.
- Testified before the Delaware Health Resources Board on need for more nursing home beds and placement service gaps in Delaware.
- Helped the state of Delaware obtain an Aging and Disability Resource Center grant and train its staff.
Brittingham received the award at the 2011 Social Work Award Celebration March 22 in Dover.