Christiana Care’s Department of Family and Community Medicine has received recognition for patient-centered, highly coordinated care and use of long-term, patient-doctor relationships from the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA), an organization dedicated to improving the quality of health care.
The Department’s Family Medicine Center, with sites at Foulk Road and the Wilmington Hospital Annex, is the first practice in Delaware—and one of only 2,189 in the nation—to achieve designation as a Physician Practice Connections Patient-Centered Medical Home from NCQA.
“The Family Medicine Center is committed to an active, ongoing relationship between a patient and our physicians, and our goal is to help patients stay healthy and prevent illness in the first place,” says Medical Director Margot Savoy, M.D., MPH.
Clinician-led care teams coordinate treatment and care across the health care system, providing patient-centered care through open scheduling, expanded hours and appropriate use of proven health information systems.
To earn recognition, The Family Medicine Center demonstrated the ability to meet the program’s key elements embodying characteristics of the medical home. The standards align with the joint principles of the Patient-Centered Medical Home established with the American College of Physicians, the American Academy of Family Physicians, the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Osteopathic Association.
The Family Medicine Center met key program components including:
- Written standards for patient access and enhanced communications.
- Appropriate use of charting tools to track patients and organize clinical information.
- Responsive care management techniques with an emphasis on preventive care.
- Adaptation to patient’s cultural and linguistic needs.
- Use of information technology for prescriptions and care management.
- Use of evidence-based guidelines to treat chronic conditions.
- Systematic tracking of referrals and test results.
- Measurement and reporting of clinical and service performance.
Call 302-477-3300 for appointments at the Family Medicine Center, including Sports Medicine.